What to Expect From an Ablation for AFib

New Life OutlookNew Life Outlook New Life Outlook
edited December 2016 in Treatments

Bipolar article: What to Expect From an Ablation for AFibWhat to Expect From an Ablation for AFib

"I had a catheter ablation on March 5, 2015 ... I've been AFib-free for over a year and a half now," writes Travis on his ablation for AFib.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Great article! Thanks for the encouragement. My procedure is schedule for one week from today. I am so ready to get this over with and hopefully feel normal again.
  • I had to have two procedures; the first one "lasted" about five months. I had had paroxysmal a.fib for years, however, and it became constant after I was taken off anti-arrhythmics for very serious side-effects. I have been afib-free now for eight years.

Note: I opted for heavy sedation only on my first ablation; don't recommend it; I was awake near the end of the procedure, vomited, etc. Next time I had general anesthesia.
  • My husband is looking at one in June. My question is: How much strain can he put on his heart after. He was told 4-6 weeks to take it easy. He's a farmer and that's alot of physical labor. Will I have to worry every time he drives a fence post or tries to move something that weighs three times as much as he does. He's already stressing about this being in the middle of haying season. Thank for any input.
  • AlyssaWinegardenAlyssaWinegarden New Life Outlook
    @MarciaM Hi - thank you for reaching out! I would absolutely take the advice of your doctor. If it's possible to enlist help during that time so someone else can do the heavy lifting, I would take advantage of that.
  • Thanks we will but I'm wondering if he will ever be able to do heavy work again after he is healed.
  • AlyssaWinegardenAlyssaWinegarden New Life Outlook
    @MarciaM I imagine he would be able to, but again, I would confirm with your doctor to be sure.
  • As yes I would have been happy to see such a positive post when I had mine in 2014. I was to the point of not being able to move 5 ft in an hour before finally they got me into procedure in Honolulu 9 months later, even being in hospital over 4 days 9 months eariler. I opt for knock me out. It is a very scary, however I am not healed, changed my life forever but ablation did make it better. I am opposite of the pendulum 3 years later still on pills. People being able to go to dinner after it being done, my hand no fing way. Most people a month or more. Me again the opposite side has taken 2 years for the nerve damage to go away plus. Would I do again ... YES. If this is let to go one for long time periods, like mine. It takes your entire life away, no longer to be you, hurts you to not be the same again. If you are not being able to function normally please do this. Before damage to your body or mind is done. It has been 3 years for me since done, life is better, but not the same if I would have done when first 3 reboots had been done. It isn't that scary. It may take time to heal. But it is better than is going on ... and most of you don't live in third world medicine of Hawaii islands. Do it.
  • I was in shape size 2 and mid 40's
  • Well I had the opposite outcome. 6 hours very lightly sedated with lots of back pain. I asked for more sedation and they would not give it to me. Procedure did not work and I developed the complication of Dressler's syndrome. Spent 3 days in the hospital in horrific back pain (Dressler's). My EP would not acknowledge this syndrome and only tested after a friend who is a neurologist diagnosed it...it was a matter of a simple blood test. This EP came highly recommended and I was very unhappy with his holier than thou attitude. Over the years I have had 14!!!! cardio version attempts with no capture for more than 2 minutes. Scheduled a 2nd ablation but the EEG immediately before the procedure showed normal rhythm so they would or could not do the procedure. So here I am 5-6 years later with both AFib/fluttering and meds and blood thinners. As my cardiologist put it....this won't kill you but it is truly a pain to deal with. So I just put up with it and hope for the best.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscribe to our Newsletter

New Life Outlook on FacebookSubscribe with Facebook

OR